Sunday, December 28, 2003

THE WILL OF SIMON

My last Will and Testament:
Geez, that’s a good opening.
A proper gentleman’s words-
(Am I the proper gentleman?)
“Being in a sound state of mind”
I sit, slow sun glow and dust
Through the window
Burn my eyes, till ‘will’ and ‘mind’ like spiders
Run n’ scatter.
The words are good and big:
Testament. My Testament. Simon’s last Testament
To the life he’s lived.
I don’t got much, but hey-
Pauli’ll get the Chevy he wanted,
And there’s the insurance for Marge.
Testament. New? Old?
I could die, this paper would stay.
New paper, crisp, proper gentleman’s paper.
Paper the lawyer-woman gave me.
Nah, it’s not new. I’ll lay bricks till
My back breaks
And
I die. Sleep in a hole.
My last Will? Hell no, a man’s will
Is all he gots for himself.
Will makes him walk straight
Talk straight
Die straight
Tho’ they kick you closer to the hole everyday.
I need my sleep.
Trains go by, rocking like my mother’s arms.
Here’s my Testament, Ma. Simon lived.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home